Orekhovo-Zuevo is located along both banks of the Klyazma, just 77 km east of the Moscow ring road. This town with a population of about 120 thousand people was formed in 1917 by combining four neighboring settlements. It includes two villages - Zuevo and Orekhovo, as well as the villages of Nikolskoye and Dubrovka.
Historical chronicle of Orekhovo-Zuevo
The first mentions of these places date back to 1209. The chronicle speaks of Volochka - a place on the left bank of the Klyazma, where later the village of Zuevo was formed from the village of Volochyok Zuev. In general, Orekhovo-Zuevo is one of the oldest centers for the production of silk and cotton fabrics and is recognized as the birthplace of Russian football.
Since the end of the 18th century, the peasants of the village of Zuevo began to master silk weaving, and at the end of the 19th century, its population already consisted mainly of factory artisans and other commercial and industrial people. The industrial prosperity of modern Orekhovo-Zuev was made by the Morozov and Zimin family of manufacturers.
The village of Orekhovo was formed near the village of Nikolskoye after the construction of the Orekhovsky cotton mill. Already at the end of the 19th century, Orekhovo became a large commercial and industrial village, in which 17 textile factories with 30 thousand workers were actively working, and Nikolskoye turned from a church churchyard into a factory settlement. All this contributed to the fact that, starting from the 1880s, Orekhovo-Zuevo became the proletarian center and the heart of the strike movement.
Orekhovo-Zuevo has become the homeland of Russian football for a reason. In order to distract the workers from drinking, the director of the Morozov factories, the Englishman G.G. Charnock - tried to captivate them with football. The first official football club, Orekhovo Sports Club (KSO), was founded by Charnock and his brother in 1909, and the stadium built for him has long been considered the best Russian arena.
Orekhovo-Zuevo through the eyes of a photo-tourist
Capture the "Morozovskie" factories, you can go for a walk along Lenin Street - the historical center of Orekhovo-Zuevo. Their red brick buildings have a façade characteristic of 19th century industrial architecture. Collectors of photographs of historical architecture will be interested in the building located on the same street in 1912, popularly called "Bugrov House" and now serving as an administrative building, as well as the former house of Ogloblin, built at the end of the 19th century.
Along Bugrov Street is the building of the Winter Theater, which became the first public theater in Russia built for workers. It was built in 1912 and serves as an example of the Art Nouveau style. The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Holy Mother of God, built by 1890, is located on Volodarskogo Street. There are suggestions that Vasnetsov himself had a hand in the painting of the temple, although the facts confirming this have not yet been found.
Finding and seeing the main sights of Orekhovo-Zuevo is very easy even for those who are passing through the city. Most of them are concentrated on Lenin Street, located next to the bus station and railway station.